Saturday, June 4, 2016

#ThisIsY I love the Y

The #ThisIsY I love the Y series is a series of entries about reflecting on the moments that make me love the Y. This is the first installment. 

It's November 24th, 2000. I'm 14 years old. I'm at the Delta Center, about to watch the Jazz take on the Nets. I'm sporting my Stockton jersey. I love the Jazz! This is our year! I know it!

The dentist my mom works for gives our family his lower bowl tickets to one or two games every year. Great seats. A great team. Usually I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. But not tonight, I'm distracted. My mom thinks it's a girl...she's wrong. My dad thinks it's because he had to get on my case earlier about my school work...he's way off. You see, the whole reason we are at the Jazz game is because the dentist had someplace else to be that night. So what!? Why does a 14 year old care about where the dentist is? Because the dentist is at the one place that I would rather be. The holy war, at Rice Eccles Stadium.

When we walk into the arena, they have the holy war playing on all the tvs and the jumbotron. What a relief! It's Lavell's last game. I have to see this game.

But here's the problem, once the Jazz game starts, they take the BYU game off the jumbotron! So I tell my mom I need to go to the bathroom. She knows I'm lying. I find a TV with the game on. There are only a few seconds left. My Cougars are down. Time is ticking away,  but we are on the 5 and we have momentum. Doman takes the snap. QB sweep right. 34 throws a huge block! He. Is. IN!  We won! We won! YES! YES! YESSSSSSS! Me and every other Y fan around that TV take it in for a few minutes, while the ute fans hang their heads and drag their feet back to their seats. Even 14 year old me know's that if 34...what's his name? Oh yeah Sitake...hadn't made that block Doman doesn't get in. Ok. Ok. Gotta get back to my seat now.

Now hop in the DeLorean Marty, we gotta get back to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment