Saturday, June 4, 2016

#ThisIsY I love the Y 2

It's November 2006. I've been on my mission for 13 months and haven't watched any sports in as long. I'm serving in Moberly Missouri with a greeny. The work is good. My parents and siblings usually include sports updates in their letters and emails. BYU has been having a good season, and I know that last Saturday was the holy war. To be honest though, I've been really focused on the work, and haven't given much thought to it since I read the last letter.
It's p-day. We usually go to the library to check email before grocery shopping. I log in. Four emails this week. Wow, my brother wrote. He doesn't write every week.  I'll read his first. He cuts straight to the chase describing the the 2006 holy war to me. He tells me about the final play. Beck to Harline with no time left! I know it was painful for him to write, he's a utah fan.
I can't belive it. We haven't beat utah in how many years and now I miss it because I'm out here in Missouri! A little voice in my head says,  "you could just look up the highlights on YouTube." No! I can't do that! I'd be breaking mission rules! Internet time is strictly for emailing family. That  voice comes back "nobody will know, Elder Horton can't even see your computer screen." Ok! Ok! Fine, I'll look it up, but I'm only going to watch it once. That's all. WHAT?! THAT'S AMAZING! Where did the receiver even come from? Well now I have to watch it again, and again, and again....okay okay...one last time. That's it...and I'm going to record a video of it on my digital camera, just incase I need to see it one more time.
Then I realize...I just spent 45 minutes watching that video. Crap! I quickly read the rest of my emails and reply saying, "I'm short on time today. I'll send you a letter." It's not like I'm lying...Right?
That evening I watch the video on my camera over and over...it's my dirty little secret. I end up keeping it on my camera for the rest of my mission. It's not like I'm watching TV...right? 


The #ThisIsY I love the Y series is a series of entries about reflecting on the moments that make me love the Y. This is the second installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment